Schools looking to support binary trans and non-binary students may find the following resources particularly useful.
Best Practice Guidelines
- Transition of a Teacher in School - Summary of the Law and Good Practice
- Transition of a Pupil in School - Summary of the Law and Good Practice
- Schools Transgender Guidance
- Trans* Inclusion Schools Toolkit
- Top Tips for Working with Trans* and Gender Questioning Young People
- How teachers can support transgender students
- Gender Variance in Primary Schools DVD
- E-learning: Caring for gender non-conforming young people
Dealing with Transphobic Bullying
- Guidance for schools on preventing and responding to sexist, sexual and transphobic bullying
- Guidance on Combating Transphobic Bullying in Schools
- Issues of Bullying Around Trans and Gender Variant Students in Schools, Colleges and Universities
Other Useful Resources
Organisations Who May Be Able To Help
- Mermaids - Support group offering information, support, friendship and shared experiences to gender variant children and their families.
- GIRES - Offer information for trans people, their families and the professionals who care for them. They also provide a directory of local trans support groups.
- Gendered Intelligence - Works with young trans people (ages 11-25). They offer a range of services including Training sessions for professionals in organisations, schools and youth services as well as mentoring to any trans, non-binary or gender variant identified person.
- Rainbow Teaching - Provide free support and guidance to teachers and school staff to challenge anti-LTBT+ bigotry in schools and to provide guidance on an LGBT+ inclusive curriculum.